The worst part is that wasted time on the road is often due to either logistical or highly solvable problems. In our experience, here are the top four time-wasters:
- Getting lost on the way to the meeting.
- Trying to find a (legal) place to park near the meeting site.
- Accidentally taking the wrong train or missing a scheduled flight.
- Failing to create a backup plan to maximize time (working on a report, conducting some cold calls) if a scheduled meeting falls through.
As Darrin Fleming pointed out in a recent blog post, “Maximizing ROI on Your Road Warriors,” some companies are cutting back on field sales teams and ramping up inside sales efforts in an attempt to create a more productive sales organization. That can be a good approach, but it won’t work well for all companies. As Fleming says, adopting tools that directly benefit field sales can be just as useful to help you maximize your ROI on field sales (and, we would add, without overhauling your sales organization).
In our experience, introducing a sales tool that cuts costs can solve each of the productivity challenges listed above. Our CRM Call Planner tool
- Keeps reps from getting lost
- Helps reps find parking quickly and easily
- Easily tees up reps to find cold-call opportunities when they’re on the road
- Give reps and managers insight to help prioritize meetings
When reps operate more efficiently and effectively, opportunities open up for sales managers to improve their efforts as well. Because effective coaching is such an integral part of sales success, it makes sense to invest in tools that give managers an impartial way to approach territory planning and prospecting efforts.
What tools are you using to maximize the productivity of your reps? Share your thoughts in the comments section.